C.C. Ferns: Can I move in?
The vibe at Humboldt Park’s C.C. Ferns is hard to beat. The mid-century modern furniture combined with 1940s Hawaii beach vibes are almost worth crying over. This West Side cafe is one of my favorites in the entire city, and not just for the decor.
The coffee options are delicious and the music is always good. It’s always a solid choice if you’re popping by to grab a coffee on the go, but may not be the best choice if you need a place to work from all day.
– Overall vibe & decor is killin’ it
– Great music is usually planning, but quietly enough that you can easily ignore if it’s not your thing
– The coffee is delicious (the menu may look familiar if you’re familiar with Sawada Coffee in the West Loop, as they’re both owned by Hogsalt Hospitality)
– Cafe is conveniently located to Spinning J and Marie Jeanne cafe, which are both delicious lunch options if you get hungry
– I’ve been here before when the WiFi was great, but this last visit Google’s Speed test showed a rating of “very slow.” That is a big disadvantage.
– Seating is limited, so you may be out of luck if you get here late
– Cafe closes earlier than most
– INTERNET: 2 out of 5 WiFi bars
– COFFEE: 4 out of 5 coffee cups (delicious options, but limited menu)
– FOOD: 1 out of 5 sammies (there are a few desserts, but otherwise no food options)
– AMBIANCE: 5 out of 5
– OVERALL GETTING SHIT DONE SCORE: 2.5